Salkantay Trekking Tour Details
The Salkantay Trekking tour takes you to the Inca city of Machu Picchu along one of the most famous trekking routes and travelled by the great travelers who love long walks and wish to be in contact with nature.
In this epic journey along an ancient Inca trail that crosses the Peruvian Andes: you will cross beautiful and enigmatic Andean landscapes, you will cross the great Andean mountain range at 4650 meters above sea level, you will observe the wild flora and fauna of the sierra and the jungle eyebrow, and you will feel the emotion and adrenaline of feeling at the top of the world.
Ancestral roads, traditional villages, incredible landscapes and the immeasurable jungle eyebrow are waiting for you. Climb, with us, the whimsical roads towards the snowy Salkantay. Descend to the enigmatic inter-Andean valleys. And culminate your odyssey in the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu, one of the 7 wonders of the modern world.
- Type of tourism: Trekking.
- Overnight: 02 nights of tents + 01 night of hotel 3 stars in Aguas Calientes.
- Duration: 04 days and 03 nights.
- Service: private.
- Period: April – December (best season), January – March (with restrictions).
Itinerary Salkantay Trekking Tours
Day 01:Cusco – Mollepata – Marcco Qasa – Soraypampa
In the morning, very early, we will pick you up from your hotel and depart in private tourist transport to the district of Mollepata. And from this last place we will continue the trip by bus to Marcocasa where a succulent breakfast will be waiting for us.
From the beautiful town of Marcocasa we will begin our expedition to Machu Picchu. The walk of this first stretch towards the campsite in Soraypampa will be light. And, in the course of the trek, we will have lunch en route, and we will also cross beautiful landscapes. Upon arrival at Soraypampa, before dinner and overnight, we will observe the impressive sunset.
Day 02: Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Huayracmachay – Chaullay
We will wake up with the first rays of the sun to taste a delicious breakfast. Afterwards, we start our hike again towards the great Salkantay snow-covered mountain. Arriving at step Salkantay 84650 msnm), the highest point, for where we will cross this mountain to enter in the eyebrow of jungle. But, before starting the descent, we will have the privilege of observing lakes of great natural beauty created by the melting of the Salkantay, as well as the majestic Apu Salkantay (6500 masl).
After the guided tour of the Salkantay pass, we will begin our descent to the town of Huayracmachay. In this place we will have lunch and free time to rest. Then, we will leave the cold glacier for the temperate and warm climate of the exuberant jungle. And during the descent, towards our campsite in Chaullay, we will cross beautiful landscapes, crystal clear water springs, rivers, waterfalls and the exuberant tropical forest. In this place, before dinner and overnight, we will have free time to appreciate the flora and fauna of the area.
Day 03: Chaullay – Colpapampa – Sahuayaco – Lucmabamba – Aguas Calientes
With the morning sun, after an exquisite breakfast, we will leave Chaullay towards Lucmabamba. On the way we will appreciate the beauty of the tropical jungle, as well as the flora and fauna of the area in its natural habitat. But before reaching this place, we will pass Colpapampa and Sahuayaco.
In the middle, we will have lunch in Lucmabamba and then we will have free time, before continuing the route in bus towards Hidroeléctrica. From where we will continue the journey by train to Aguas Calientes.
Upon arrival to Aguas Calientes we will be accommodated in your respective hotel by our team. And, before dinner and overnight, free time to tour Aguas Calientes or visit the hot springs of Aguas Calientes.
Day 04: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Poroy – Cusco
Very early we will ascend to the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu, through a winding road that runs parallel to the Hiram Bingham road. However, if you wish you can take the bus service to the Inca citadel. The walk can last an hour and a half, while the ascent by bus, half an hour.
Upon arrival at Machu Picchu we will be the first to enter the Inca citadel; and at the same time, we will have the opportunity to appreciate the fantastic sunrise. In Machu Picchu we will have a guided tour for 2.30 hours, after which the passenger will have free time to visit the Historic Sanctuary.
At about 14.00 hours, we will return to the city of Aguas Calientes for lunch, and according to the train ticket assistance to the train station for the subsequent boarding and departure to Ollantaytambo / Pachar / Poroy. Upon arrival at the station, a transfer will be waiting for you to assist you and transfer you to your respective hotel in the city of Cusco.
- Briefing before the start of the Trek.
- Private tourist transport between: Cusco – Marcocasa – Cusco.
- Guide service in the required language (English or Spanish) and Tour Guide assistant for groups of 9+.
- Complete kitchen equipment, properly implemented, and kitchenware, including tables and chairs.
- Qualified cook for trekking routes and assistant.
- Porters of exclusive selection to carry: tents (kitchen, dining room and bathroom), food, dishes, kitchens, tents, and, to carry their personal belongings (up to 7 kg per pax).
- 04 breakfasts, 03 lunches and 03 dinners.
- Purified and boiled water properly controlled by our chef: after breakfast, lunch and dinner, and to refill your bottles of water (excluding the first 4 hours of walking).
- Snacks and hot drinks according to the schedule.
- 01 tent for each 2 hikers.
- Inflatable mattress per pax.
- Portable ecological bathroom (The Pett).
- Informative talk prior to the departure of Hydroelectric – Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu.
- Tourist train from Aguas Calientes to Poroy (Expedition at 16:22 pm).
- 2.30 hours of guided tour in Machu Picchu.
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu Archaeological Park.
- CONSETTUR bus up and down.
- Transfer by tourist transport: Poroy train station – hotel in Cusco.
- First aid kit and oxygen bottles (with supplement).
Does not include:
- Sleeping bag.
- Trekking poles.
- Dinner on day 04.
- Food not indicated in the program.
- Additional expenses, due to weather problems and/or cancellation of flights and last minute train.
Travel Recommendations To take:
- Passport // ISIC Card // DNI, obligatory.
- A small backpack for trekking.
- Clothing for 4 days of travel: light for the day (long sleeve polo shirts, trekking pants) and warm for the night (thermal underwear, fleece, feathers, hat, gloves, socks), as well as waterproof trekking shoes, swimwear, personal towel, and sandals.
- Impermeable for rain between December – April.
- Camera and / or film, extra batteries and chargers.
- Personal medicines, sunscreen recommended by your doctor, insect repellent cream and personal hygiene items.
- Wide-brimmed sun hats, caps and sunglasses.
- Extra money for additional personal expenses.
- Nalgene water containers.
- Trekking poles to lighten the walk.
- Frontal and/or hand lantern.
- Trekking to Salkantay is quite demanding. Therefore, it is advisable to enjoy good health and be in good physical condition. In addition, it is good to have arrived in the city of Cusco, at least
- two days before the tour, to acclimatize and/or to make trekking routes of easy category of one or half day.