Tour Details Maras – Moray – Salineras
With our tour Maras, Moray and Salineras, visit the three important archeological centers that are not normally included in the classic tours to the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
Start your trip in the city of Cusco (Peru) and visit:
- The experimental Inca agricultural center of Moray. Located 7 km west of the town of Maras and at an altitude of 3500 meters above sea level. This archeological zone stands out for its system of circular platforms that, in the Inca era, served as an agricultural research center for the adaptation of plants to different ecological floors.
- The traditional village of Maras. Located 74 km from the city of Cusco. It’s an old colonial town that stands out for its noble coats of arms, of noble Indians of the colony, that still shine in the lintels of some doors. During the colony, being very close to the Salt Mines of Salineras, it was an important political-administrative enclave.
- The Salt Mines of Maras. Formed by more than 3000 small wells that are dug in the steep slope of a ravine. In these wells, following ancestral methods, the salt water that emanates from the Qaqawiñay mountain spring is stored and crystallized.
“Nothing develops intelligence as much as traveling. Book our tour Maras, Moray and Salineras, and delight your eyes with the breathtaking views they offer: the picturesque landscapes and snow-capped mountains of the Sacred Valley, the enigmatic archeological sites of the Alternative Sacred Valley and the traditional villages of the Chinchero plateau.
- Type of Tourism: Cultural and archaeological.
- Duration: half day.
- Service: Shared.
- Period: April – December (best season), January – March (with restrictions).
Moray and Salineras Tour Itinerary
At 8:30 a.m. we will pick you up from your hotel and begin our trip to the northeast of Cusco to visit the archaeological complexes of Moray, Maras and Salineras.
Our first stop will be in the experimental agricultural center of Moray where we will observe the system of circular platforms that the Incas used to experiment the adaptation of the plants to the different micro climates or ecological floors. Then, we will descend to the traditional village of Maras in whose streets we will observe the noble coats of arms of its colonial past. Finally, we will head towards Salineras to observe the hundreds of artisanal wells where the inhabitants of Maras, following ancestral techniques of crystallization, still continue to convert salt water into Salt crystals.
You can also buy souvenirs made from salt crystals and other materials in artisan shops in Salineras.
At the end of the tour, we will return to the city of Cusco.
- Tour to Maras, Moray and Salineras, in shared service.
- Guide service in the required language: Spanish or English.
- Assistance and pick up from your hotel, in the historic center of the city of Cusco.
- Tourist transportation during the tour.
- First aid kit.
It does not include:
- Tourist Ticket Cusco nor ticket of entrance to the Salt mines of Maras (Salineras).
- Drinks and/or snacks.
- Additional expenses due to weather problems.
Travel Recommendations to take:
- Passport // ISIC Card // DNI, obligatory.
- Impermeable for rain between December and April.
- Camera and / or film camera with extra battery.
- Sunscreen and wide-brimmed hat.
- Extra money for additional personal expenses and/or gratitude.
- Light clothing during the tour.