The Rainbow Mountain Tour takes you through one of the enigmatic roads leading to the Apu Ausangate and observes the colourful colours of the majestic Coloured Mountain (Vinicunca), catalogued by the National Geographic magazine as one of the 100 places you must visit before you die, and one of the most visited tourist destinations in Cusco – Peru.
Explore for a full day the incredible landscapes of the magical and incredible mountains of the Peruvian Andes. Visit picturesque and ancient villages of the great Quechua culture. Observe hundreds of South American camelids grazing in their natural habitat. And delight your gaze with the whimsical and incredible natural coloration of the Rainbow Mountain.
Book our 7-color mountain tour and live an unforgettable adventure. Explore the enigmatic colors of Vinicunca and connect your senses with nature and the Apus (spirits of the mountains). Don’t wait any longer: Take advantage!
Itinerary of the Rainbow Mountain Tour
Very early, at 04:00 a.m., we will pick you up from your hotel and depart, in a private tourist bus, to the community of Quesiuno. The trip of 3 hours will be in direction to the South Valley, following the highway Cusco – Puno, until the district of Checacupe from where we will begin to ascend to Quesiuno, passing by Pitumarca.
In Quesiuno we will have breakfast. Then, we will prepare for the hike and we will begin with the trek to the colorful mountain that is located on the 5,200 msnm. The distance we travel between the town of Quesiuno and Cerro Colorado will be 8.5 kilometers. On the way we will observe the many landscapes of the puna and the incredible herds of llamas and alpacas grazed by the inhabitants of the area.
Arriving at the viewpoint of the Mountain of Colors we will appreciate the magic and charm of the mountain and the surrounding snow-capped mountains and we will take the best postcards of this great adventure. The time spent at the top of the mountain will depend a lot on weather conditions, ranging from 30 to 40 minutes.
From the top of the rainbow mountain, after having seen the varied colors of this natural wonder, we will descend to the community of Quesiuno, where our chef will have prepared lunch for us.
In the afternoon, after an exciting day, we embark on our bus to the city of Cusco. Arriving to the city of Cusco after 18:30 hours. Upon arrival our team will leave you in the comfort of your hotel so that you can take a well deserved rest after a day of many emotions.
- Transfer in private tourist service (in a modern sprinter bus with heating included), between: Cusco – Quesiuno – Cusco.
- Guide specialized in mountaineering.
- Assistant guides for groups larger than 7 travelers.
- Blankets for each passenger, during the trip by bus.
- 1 buffet breakfast and 1 buffet lunch, prepared by our route chef, in the community of Quesiuno.
- Entrance ticket to Siete Colores Mountain.
- 1 horse for emergencies during the whole trip.
- Hot drinks during the trek: mate de muña or coca.
- Aperitifs during the trek: biscuits, sweets and some fruits.
- First aid kit during the whole trip.
- Extra oxygen during the trek.
- Food not indicated in the program.
- Additional expenses due to weather problems.
- Extra charges of the passenger during his trip of going and return, or during the trek to the mountain of colors.
- Rain ponchos or trekking poles.
- Horse to ride during the trek.
- Passport or Documents of Personal Identity, obligatory.
- Extra cash.
- Waterproof clothing and suitable for high altitude trekking: long pants, long sleeve shirts or polo shirts, warm gloves, wide brimmed hat and a good trekking shoe.
- Sun block, sunglasses and waist kangaroo.
- Personal medications prescribed by your doctor.
- Camera and / or film camera with extra battery.
- Rain poncho in rainy seasons.